Here are the top winners for the school recycling contest, including total pounds of recyclables collected, and pounds per student:
1st -- Northern Marianas Academy (50,380lbs total; 34 students; 1481.8lbs per student)
2nd -- Eucon International (22,459lbs total; 109 students; 206lbs per student)
3rd -- GTC Elementary (36,837lbs total; 221 students; 166.7lbs per student)
4th -- San Antonio Elementary (38,020lbs total; 239 students; 115.6lbs per student)
5th -- Grace Christian Academy (27,220lbs total; 360 students; 75.6lbs per student)
6th -- Saipan Intl School (13,300lbs total; 308 students; 63.9lbs per student)
7th -- WSR Elementary (24,886lbs total; 678 students; 36.7lbs per student)
8th -- Koblerville Elementary(14,700lbs total; 442 students; 33.3lbs per student)
As for the fabulous prizes that they won:
- 1st (NMA) -- $600 cash, 30 waterpark passes to Pacific Islands Club, and 20 seedlings from DLNR Forestry
- 2nd (Eucon) -- $425 cash, 25 waterpark passes to Hotel Nikko Saipan, and 20 seedlings from DLNR Forestry
- 3rd (GTC Elementary) -- $225 cash, 20 backpacks from Ginen Saipan, and 20 seedlings from DLNR Forestry
- 4th/Honorable Mention (San Antonio Elementary) -- $100 cash, $100 Joeten gift certificate from Saipan Shipping, 10 seedlings from DLNR Forestry, 12 backpacks from Ginen Saipan
- 5th/Honorable Mention (Grace Christian) -- $50 cash, $50 National Office Supply gift certificate from Java Joe's, 10 seedlings from DLNR Forestry, 12 backpacks from Ginen Saipan
- 6th/Honorable Mention (Saipan Intl) -- $50 cash, 12 backpacks from Ginen Saipan, 10 seedlings from DLNR Forestry
- 7th/Honorable Mention (WSR Elementary) -- $50 cash, 12 backpacks from Ginen Saipan, 10 seedlings from DLNR Forestry
- 8th/Honorable Mention (Koblerville Elementary) -- $50 cash, 12 backpacks from Ginen Saipan, 10 seedlings from DLNR Forestry
And just for participating in the contest, all other schools will receive 10 seedlings for campus beautification from DLNR Forestry and a Beautify CNMI! Certificate of Recognition. Congratulations to all our schools for their recycling efforts and enthusiasm!
To all our CNMI Recycles Day corporate sponsors, government supporters, and nonprofit partners, our heartfelt thanks:
Corporate sponsors: Ericco; Ginen Saipan; Pepsi; Pacific Islands Club; Hotel Nikko Saipan; Hafadai Publishing; Saipan Shipping; MS Villagomez; Java Joe's
Government supporters: Office of the Governor; Office of the Lt. Governor; Marianas Visitors Authority; Dept of Public Works; Division of Environmental Quality; Dept of Lands and Natural Resources, Forestry Division; Office of Rep. Cinta Kaipat; Office of Rep. Absalon Waki
Nonprofit partners: Saipan Chamber of Commerce; Marianas RC&D; MINA; MOVER
Many thanks, as well, to all our CNMI Recycles Day entertainers and exhibitors: Sam Joyner, Gus and Abdon Kaipat, Ericco, Elly Stoilova, DPW, and the Hopwood environmental club, SAVE!
Last but most definitely not least, our deepest appreciation to the hardworking and energetic members of the CRD Committee: Merced Ada; Reina Camacho; Marites Castillo; Ed Diaz; Steve Hiney; Rep. Cinta Kaipat; Gus Kaipat; Viola Kaipat; Ken Kramer; Bree Reynolds; Barrett Ristroph; Nina Rivera; Elly Stoilova; Frank Tudela; Angelo Villagomez; and Rep. Absalon Waki.
We look forward to many more recycling successes!